Re: [docbook] RFE 714764 - 'typed' indexes

Tobias Reif wrote:

I just thought that it would be much more flexible to not insert index term markup in the document, at all (at most place a simple reference to each index document). If I get a DocBook document and don't like the indexing, I have to work my way through the whole document and discard the previous work, or I have to produce a new version of the DocBook document (I don't have much experience with DB indexing, so I might be wrong). So I simply like the general possibility of separating the document from it's indexes; I didn't yet think about technical details.
Just as with separating content from style, it becomes easy to swith the other component with minimal effort.

Tobias,
I am not sure that I understand what you mean by separating the document from its indexes. Indexes are content-based, and I cannot think of a way that would allow you to create an index without inserting index term markup in the document.

In my eyes, the proposal to add an attribute to index and indexterm in order to classify different types of indexes is reasonable. From my point of view, the most important reason for adding an attribute to indexterm and not generating indexes based on specific elements is the possibility to specify ranges.

Katharina