Re: [docbook] is there any way to code genus & species names in d ocbook XML

Jeff,

Thanks for the correction. You are correct about the use of ID versus role. I should have taken more time to put my reply together. Sorry.

Jeff Biss

Jeff Beal wrote:

You may also want to use <foreignphrase role="genus">...</foreignphrase> and
<foreignphrase role="species">...</foreignphrase>. As most genus and
species names are in Latin, and your document isn't, this is semantically
more accurate than the <emphasis/> tag (which is a subject Tobias rather
vehementally addressed) and the DocBook XSL stylesheets provided from
docbook.sourceforge.net already render this as you want it to be rendered,
unlike Tobias' suggestion to use <phrase/>.

(As a side note, I'd like to point out that Jeff Biss's use of id=genus
below is probably not what he intended.  The role attribute is designed to
create "sub-classifications" of an element.  The id attribute is used to
identify a specific, single, element.)

Jeff Beal