Re: [docbook] Re: Tables, braille and other stuff

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:28:49AM +0200, Tobias Reif wrote:
> Yann Dirson wrote:
>
> > Since DocBook is such a large DTD, it may make sense to have a "main
> > set of elements", which would constitute the DocBook DTD proper, and
> > an extended one, built as a customisation layer above DocBook (say
> > "Presentationnal DocBook"), which would add those extra elements with
> > a strong presentationnal bias.
>
> DocBook ideally should not have any presentational features, I agree.
> But you can simply limit yourself to the non-presentational, semantical
> and structural subset.
> (I'd prefer if the presentational features would be excluded, but many
> would disagree.)

That's why I tried to propose a "balanced exclusion" :)

> But tables are not presentational when used appropriately.

Can you give an example of an appropriately-used table ?

> If you don't agree with the latter, you could limit yourself to the
> subset you consider the better subset, thus not use table markup.
> You are always free to markup your tabular data without table markup, eg
> as list.

Well, I'd better see some markup that would be more suitable - using
lists is likely not to be a good solution for most cases.

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique