This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the DocBook project.
[docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 Apr 2003
- From: Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh dot com>
- To: docbook at lists dot oasis-open dot org
- Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:29:01 -0400
- Subject: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 Apr 2003
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
| DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 Apr 2003
| The DocBook Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 15 Apr 2003 at
| 01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
| 10:30p India) for 90 minutes.
| 1. Roll call
| 2. Accepting the minutes of the previous meeting
| 3. Review of the agenda
| 4. Review of open action items
| a. Norm to follow-up on RFE 562343: <packagename> element
| b. Norm to write better documentation for option/optional
| c. Norm to post simplified ToC proposal to the list again
| d. Norm to propose a new content model for mediaobjectco to bring
| it back in sync with mediaobject
| e. Norm to ask Denis Evans for his opinions on REF #686733, allow
| bibliography under <refentry>
| f. Paul to review how HTML table proposal would change if we went
| with Strict instead of Transitional XHTML.
| g. Norm to summarize what's been approved for DocBook V.next
| h. Norm to put inline biibliography elements on the agenda
| i. Norm to put choicelist markup on the agenda
| j. Norm to put annotations on the agenda
| k. Bob to write a concrete proposal for marking up keycaps
| 5. URI/URN markup
Mike summarized the proposal.
Some discussion of the class values.
Proposal is to add URI to tech.char.class without the class attribute.
ACTION: Mike to post a summary to the list, pointing out that we didn't adopt the
proposed class attribute.
| 6. Multiple refnamedivs per refentry (related to RFE #514435)
Postpone until Bob's return.
| 7. Task/Topic
NW: Would abstract do? Does it really need to be taskabstract/
SC: TaskAbstract was originally Description, but the team wanted to make sure it
was very short. So the name was changed to TaskAbstract. We can
change that name.
NH: What if you wanted pre requesites before each procedure.
SC: Then you might need to restructure.
Discussion of the proposal
ACTION: Norm to post a summary of the content models as described.
Plan to accept next month if there's no pushback.
| 8. Bidi proposal
dir (ltr|rtl|lro|rlo) #IMPLIED
as a global attribute.
| 9. Choicelist markup
Postpone until Mike's return.
| 10. Annotations 
SC: When I hear 'annotation', I think of technical review comments.
NW: Annotations could be used for that.
DH: This is something HP would definitely use. We'd use it as pop-over or roll-over
tool tip text, for example.
ACTION: Norm to write some stylesheets to demonstrate how this might
look. Perhaps that will identify failings or at least motivate
| 11. Inline bibliography elements (related to RFE #679316) 
NH: We've already got a huge number of inlines. The thought of adding
a whole bunch of more things is really discouraging.
ACTION: Norm to respond to Bob's message and see if we can get some
email discussion going.
11b. CALS and HTML Tables in DocBook
Proposal: if we adopt the proposal to add HTML tables to DocBook, we
should use Transitional not Strict on the basis that much of the
motivation for doing it is in the attributes available only in
Transional HTML model.
Proposal: adopt Paul's suggested changes to the DTD to allow both CALS
and HTML Transitional tables in DocBook documents.
Does anyone request that we do this by email?
NH: Are we quorate?
Steve Cogorno No
Dick Hamilton Yes
Paul Grosso Yes
Nancy Harrison Yes
Norman Walsh Yes
Mike Smith Now absent
11c. Publish V.next
| 12. Review of Requests for Enhancement
| To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
| where XXXX is the RFE number.
| 691762 syntax=""
| 697374 marking up keycaps according to their semantics
| 698844 Add PDF to notation.class
| 705885 Add NS attribute to SGMLTAG
| 714764 new classifier attrib for <indexterm> and <index>
| 436067 splitting tech.char.class
| 473365 Allow optional in funcprototype
| 482818 Simplify ToC content model
| 514435 Allow reference within refentry
| 541444 caption in mediaobjectco
| 558443 include storage info in metadata
| 562343 <packagename> element
| 565637 Associate non-inline image with link
| 565716 URL and URN markup
| 573419 Add bidirectional text overrides
| 582822 VARARG and FUNCDEF together
| 623524 (Re)Consider "choicelist" markup
| 638456 RFE add a <translator> tag
| 655526 funcprototype enhancement
| 660044 Controlling line numbering in verbatims
| 679316 Allow orgname tag within paragraphs
| 686733 allow bibliography under <refentry>
| The following RFEs are awaiting action items
| 413389 Enhance METHODNAME and VARNAME
| 431411 RFE 70: add generic linking capability
| 522552 Add title attribute to <ulink> element
| 574880 Add annotation element
| 613293 Generalize programlisting
| 621564 New element Task and children
| The following RFEs are identified as V6.0 or later
| 531851 Remove inline person name elements
| 532088 Remove RevHistory from qandaentry
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200303/msg00024.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200303/msg00026.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200303/msg00000.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200303/msg00005.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200302/msg00050.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200302/msg00006.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200303/msg00001.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200303/msg00006.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200304/msg00051.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200304/msg00050.html
|  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200304/msg00002.html
Be seeing you,
Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh dot com> | The universe that we observe has
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | precisely the properties we should
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | expect if there is, at bottom, no
| design, no purpose, no evil and no
| good, nothing but pitiless
| indifference.--Richard Dawkins
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.7 <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-unsubscribe at lists dot oasis-open dot org
For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-help at lists dot oasis-open dot org