The best way to 'include' parts of a DocBook

I want to create blocks of text, for example, <glossentery/>s and 'include' them in my text at different places. One strategy I have come up with is to create a separate file for each entry and then add an <!ENTITY term SYSTEM "term.xml"> for each term. This starts to get rather ugly if I put them all in the '['...']' of the DocType specifier.

First of all, does anybody understand what I'm attempting? If so, is there a more elegant way of achieving this?

--
STH
Hann er vitrastr ásanna ok fegrst talađr ok líknsamastr, en sú náttúra fylgir honum, at enginn má haldast dómr hans.