RE: Re: On the size of DocBook...

IMHO, at least three different issues are at stake here:

 - how to make DocBook easier to learn initially
 - how to make DocBook applicable for a wider audience
 - how to keep development of DocBook and DocBook applications manageable

The DocBook DTD is already a prime illustration of how parameter entities
can be used to model classes of elements, and how to make a large DTD
customizable. And TDG is pretty explicit about how different elements relate
wrt. how they should be used.

When we talk about 'useful subsets of DocBook',  my primary concerns would
be:

 - how to make the first 30 minutes with DocBook a pleasure
 - how to make development of new appliations (say, another/better CSS) less
daunting

Proper subsetting and extending will, IMHO, require some form of
architectural forms, some formal concepts about how and why e.g. an element
is a specialization of some other elements. Look to DITA [1] for
inspiration.

Subsetting for "success within 30 minutes" and "easier application
development" could be done in lot less ambitious fashion; it's not
inherently tied to how the elements architecturally relate.

When Samuel Morse wanted to find out how to optimally encode letters, he did
so by counting the number of letters in sets of printer's type. The exercise
of presenting an 'optimal' initial subset of DocBook is similar.

If we measured the frequency of different elements in different genres of
DocBook documents, we'd get a pretty good indication of the sequence in
which a novice might need to learn these elements. And the sequence in which
an application developer must provide useful results.

[1] http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita1/

kind regards
Peter Ring