cmdsynopsis + arg Vs command, option

I wanted to ask after something that's been bugging me for a while.

To wit, that in most places, one needs to use

whereas in cmdsynopsis, one uses

<arg choice="opt">...</arg>

It would be nice to have one, consistent way of describing
options/arguments to a command, both inside and outside of
cmdsynopsis.  This has been confusing for some of the people I'm
working with on a documentation project.

Or am I just not understanding some aspect of the current design?

Thankyou,
--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/