docbook for RPGs

The long view: I've written a role-playing game with a co-author (who is shortly likely to be fairly annoyed with me for exploring this angle), and I'm trying to release it under a GPL-like license. Thus, I'm interested in an open standard, and currently that is HTML. (Yeah, yeah, groan, ick, I know.)

So I'm interested in using docbook, I'm convinced docbook is better than peanut butter, etc., and not surprisingly, this over-enthusiastic newby has some questions for the list.

1. Is there any sort of "dialog mode" set of tags? Game examples often have entries where one party is talking to another, and the names are set off, followed by a colon and the text of their speech, alternating back and forth. QandA doesn't seem to be the right tag.
2. What's the state of conversion tools? PDF is a publication mode very common for online-distributed games anymore. The very kind Norman Walsh mentions that xml2pdf has "shortcomings"--I'm not too particular about how this thing is going to look, but I should arm myself beforehand.
3. What about free editing stuff? I have xemacs but it fills me with liquid fear. But I don't relish pumping in all those tags by hand.

Thanks all for your kind attention.

--JB
--
"The net can be controlled from outside, and therefore, resistance must
be organized from outside." --Hakim Bey