Re: Re: packagename proposal/RFE

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 01:55:51PM +0000, Matt G. wrote:
> >From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
> >To: "Matt G." <matt_g_@hotmail.com>
> >CC: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
> >Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: packagename proposal/RFE
> >Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:11:43 +0200

> > > Arg!  Please don't confuse namespaces and packages!!  Even though Java
> >may
> >
> >In .Net (C#, VB.NET, ...) terminology namespace is equivalent to package
> >in Java sense. It is set of related classes. It's quite confusing name,
> >but it's here. Using <package> for Java package, C# namespace, Perl/PHP
> >module, Pascal/Delphi unit, ... seems reasonable.
>
> I think we're in agreement, here.  I just want to clarify that the two are
> distinct and independent concepts.  It's just that, in the languages you
> mentioned, they're coupled, as a result of the fact that packages get a
> unique namespace.  Therefore, one could effectively use the terms
> interchangeably, within any of those contexts (though it might be confusing,
> to actually do so).
>
> Personally, I believe it might be worth adding a 'namespace' element, for
> purposes other than referring to a Java "package" (or similar constructs, in
> other languages).  One could certainly use this hypothetical 'namespace'
> element, to markup a reference to the namespace defined by a Java package
> (or similar, in C#), but a separate 'namespace' element is really
> necessitated by cases such as C++ and XML, for which no equivalent exists.

To add another dimension to the discussion, the word
"package" in the field of software can also mean
a package of software for distribution, such as an
RPM package.  Authors who deal with packaging software
but not APIs will perhaps misuse a <package> element.
The advantage of the oo* names is that they are
specific to their subfield.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com