Re: RFE #473365: Allow optional in funcprototype

Sorry for letting so much time go by, I tend to get behind, on these things.

My apologies, if any of this stuff has changed, since 2.0.4 of TDG (though it does claim to accurately reflect DTD version 4.2).

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: DOCBOOK: RFE #473365: Allow optional in funcprototype
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 07:24:29 -0400

 <funcprototype>
 <optional>
 </optional>
 </funcprototype>
I hadn't yet an occasion to use 'funcprototype', but I'm glad to see that 'type' was recently added to 'paramdef'. However, isn't a 'funcparam' really a special-case of 'type'? Personally, I'm a bit unclear on why 'funcparam' even exists.

And what about parameter defaults, such as in C++, XSLT, and Python? Shall I submit an RFE to add some sort of 'defaultval' element, which (ideally, with a cardinality of '?', if 'paramdef' weren't mixed) would also be included in the content model of 'paramdef'? Like 'type', 'defaultval' (or perhaps just 'default') should be a generic inline element, IMO. Personally, I can't see how the lack of a way to formalize default parameter values isn't a substantial deficiency, for people attempting to produce API documentation for languages with such a feature. It isn't really accurate to try to use 'replaceable', for this purpose (given it's current semantics (i.e. that of a meta-syntactic variable), as specified in TDG, anyhow).

While I'm looking at the 'paramdef' content model, I can't help but wonder why it includes 'replaceable'. It's not necessarily inaccurate to describe a formal parameter name as replaceable, but it's also not as specific as calling it a parameter (with the connotation that one means "formal parameter", in the context of a funcprototype).

Thanks for taking the time to consider my opinions. Please advise me as to whether I should proceed with submitting any RFEs.

Sincerely,
Matt Gruenke