Re: What should a <sidebar> look like?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 05:41:17AM -0800, M. Wroth wrote:
> I think there is more difference than layout, although it does depend on
> what the author is doing. <marginalnote>Marginal notes are not the same as
> footnotes</> A marginal note is typically a summary or key point, while a
> footnote is typically additional information (such as bibliographic
> reference).  At least in that scheme, they are semantically
> different.<footnote>Purely personal opinion.</>

I'd rather say that those 2 layout options are used to render 2
variations of a "note" concept.

We could say for example that <footnote role="summary"> should be
rendered as marginalia, <footnote role="moreinfo"> as footnote, and
<footnote role="whatever"> as endnote.

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre