Re: Hyphenation of a German text

Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> writes:

> Stefan Wintermeyer wrote:
>
>> simple Problem: I have a German written document. I uses <book
>> lang="de"> for declaring it (is that the mistake?). How can I create a PDF
>> with a correct hyphenation? Evertime I create PDFs it has no
>> hyphentation at all.

Hello Stefan,

I forgot to tell you that "quadding" is required.  Please, in
suse-both.dsl use:

(define %hyphenation% #t)
(define %default-quadding% 'justify)

You can copy suse-both.dsl in you working directory change it and say:

    db2pdf --style suse-both.dsl document.sgml

This time I tested my proposal (with an English document).

> You must turn on hyphenation in stylesheet. There is parameter for doing
> it in both XSL and DSSSL stylesheets, look for it in documentation.

Isn't that easy to find.  At http://jadetex.sourceforge.net/ you can
read:

    Why doesn't hyphenation work?

    Remember that your text must be fully justified (quadding: #t),
    hyphenation must be on, hyphenation?: #t, and a current language
    must be selected (e.g., language: 'EN) for JadeTeX to perform
    hyphenation.

I've got to write an SDB article.

> Second issue is support for hyphenation in formating tools. If you are
> using JadeTeX or PassiveTeX you shouldn't have problems as your TeX
> setup probably comes with German hyphenation patterns.

Yes, pattern are dumped in (AFAIK).  Otherwise use `texconfig' or adjust
/etc/texmf/language.dat and call fmtutil manually:

    fmtutil --byfmt jadetex

> http://www.kosek.cz/xml/dboscon/ucel/frames.html
>
> It is primary focused for Central and Eastern European languages, but
> many informations are usable for other languages as well.

Thanks for this info!

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o