RE: Re: Concrete proposal for #480954: Extend textobject toinsert external files

IMHO, XInclude <include parse="xml"/> is useful for collecting
nodes or nodesets from a number of documents. It can be used
right away; the biggest problem is actually to customize the
DocBook DTD to allow an 'include' element in appropriate places.

The XInclude namespace is a non-problem, at least until someone
else comes along with another <include/> element. But then there's
the parameter entity hack.

Wrt. XInclude and SGML, something similar has already been invented
in HyTime, http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/docs/n1920/html/n1920.html.
A lot of what is being accomplished with XML now was already present
in HyTime five years ago.

At that time, it was still regarded as something "deep" and
interesting. It is. See e.g.

http://www.oreilly.com/people/staff/crism/transclu.html (SGML/XML '97)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-sgml-wg/1996Dec/thread.html

Kind regards,