expected table format for pdf output

I have a question about how to mark up a table properly so you get
appropriate table formatting when you transform a file to pdf. I
believe this is a markup question, not one for docbook-apps.
(Flame away!)

I have the following table in a document:

	  <title>Prompts</title>
	  <tgroup cols="1">
	    <thead>
	      <row>
		<entry>Expression</entry>
	      </row>
	    </thead>
	    <tbody>
	      <row>
		<entry>What type of recipe do you want?</entry>
	      </row>
	      <row>
		<entry>Who won the 1999 American League
		Championship Series?</entry>
	      </row>
	    </tbody>
	  </tgroup>

When I transform it to HTML, the table looks fine. When I transform
it to PDF, I get unanticipated results.

Do I need to add <colspec/> or <spanspec/> items to address this
issue? Is there something else that I am missing?

Sincerely,

Jeff

[:>)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair