RE: FW: Equations.

You're not supposed to put generated files under revision control; just the
source and the script (or whatever) that generates the files.

Anyway, you can't avoid a set of graphic file for each equation unless you
can guarantee that the browser/renderer understands the math notation. Amaya
(http://www.w3.org/Amaya/) displays (some) MathML, is free (like in free
beer), but not suited for general consumption. IBM techexplorer
(http://www-4.ibm.com/software/network/techexplorer/) sports full support
for MathML 1.01 and also a large subset of LaTeX. Sebastian Rahtz'
PassiveTex (http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/passivetex/) can typeset MathML
rather well.

If you generate PostScript (EPS or PDF) by default for each LaTeX equation,
that won't cost you much in terms of storage, and is immediately useful for
print. Other presentation formats can be generated on demand from the
PostScript file.

If you go for MathML (or if you manage to somehow put the LaTeX source into
the document), you'll need a way to generate unique file names for generated
files. A nice trick is to derive the file names from a digest of the content
(i.e., MD5) of your math data. This can be used to cache rendering of the
math data.

Kind regards

Peter Ring