Re: Markup for personal names

/ Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
| > I've had a long standing action item to write a new proposal for
| > "names and addresses". So I've been thinking about personal
| > names. Right now we have author, editor, etc. but there's clearly a
| > desire to markup other sorts of personal names (other sorts of
| > contributors) and to cleanup the association of names and addresses.
|
| What's the scope of this this proposal? Just for personal names in
| bibliographic sections, or is it to include inline markup for
| personal names in <para> etc.? I hope it's the latter.

It arose from three requirements:

1. There is a need to markup more names than just those of Authors and
   Editors. There are far more kinds of contributors.

2. There is a need to provide markup for names inline. (So yes, it's the
   latter.)

3. This:

   <author>
     <firstname>Norman</firstname>
     <surname>Walsh</surname>
     <affiliation>
       <address>
         <email>ndw@nwalsh.com</email>
       </address>
     </affiliation>
   </author>

   (a) seems like an awful lot of markup just to include my email address
   (b) is sometimes incorrect since, in fact, that particular email address
       has nothing to do with my affiliation with any organization (except
       myself and few have accused me of being organized :-)

| Also for organization
| and company names and maybe place names. I just use <phrase> with a
| Role attribute for this now and suspect that many other people do the
| same thing.

I can't see how place names occur very frequently in our domain, or
what additional markup is needed for organization and company names,
but by all means, toss your requirements into the bucket. :-)

| > Rather than reinvent the wheel from scratch, I wonder if there are any
| > sources we could borrow from. Does anyone know of a good name markup
| > schema?
|
| I'll do some looking at other sources and follow up to the list with
| any examples I can find.

TIA.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | As charms are nonsense, nonsense
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | is a charm.--Benjamin Franklin