Re: generate man pages on Linux

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 03:18:23PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
:
: [ please CC replies to me ]
:
: Hello, I have just begun having a look at DocBook for use with
: documenting a library I have written.  I would like to produce a man
: page, and also HTML from one document.
:
: I quickly found docbook-to-man, however, it seems to have some
: problems:
:
: It assumes you are working with C functions. I am, but I also want to
: document the Tcl and Python interfaces, and have them displayed
: correctly.
:
: It produces some output which is just plain bad or ugly:
:
: some_function(
: );
:
: It seems to use a '.ts' file to define how to do these
: transformations, and a lot of stuff is hard coded into it (the
: parentheses for functions, for instance).
:
: Can anyone advise me on a better efficient tool to use for this?
:
: How can I make the distinction between Tcl and Python code?

There is another package: http://docbook2X.sourceforge.net/
but I don't suppose it fixes your problem,

It looks to be DocBook limitation.

I work on one more converter (but fast enough to
handle on-the-fly conversion), but so far I assumed only
C style functions too :( because 'funcsynopsis' element
(that you probably use) is described as follows in docs (TDG):
"The content model of this element was designed specifically
to capture the semantics of most C-language function prototypes".

In newer versions of docbook (the above notice concerns v3.1)
there is 'classsynopsis' element added by I don't suppose it
satisfy you.

You may just use general 'synopsis' element if nobody suggest
better solution.

Regards,
Rafal

:
: Thankyou,
: --
: David N. Welton, Responsabile Progetti Open Source, Linuxcare Italia spa
: tel +39.049.8043411 fax +39.049.8043412 cel +39.348.2879508
: davidw@linuxcare.com, http://www.linuxcare.com/
: Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.

--
Rafał Kleger-Rudomin (klakier@osi.gda.pl)