Re: getting started info

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Elisa Ma wrote:

> As a complete newbie to docbook (why didn't I know about it sooner?), I need
> to know basic requirements for beginning to work with it. I'm thinking of
> making a Linux partition on my computer, although most apps at work operate
> on NT.

Everything neccesary to use DocBook is also ported to Windows, so you need
not to install Linux.

> It appears that I could try out docbook "simple" by using java enablers,
> etc.,  that are easily downloaded and implemented on Linux...does this make
> sense to all you sophisticated docbook users out there? Is someone willing
> to assist an experienced tech writer understand the initial steps of getting
> docbook up and running? I'm used to viewing and interpreting code, so I'll
> catch on quickly.

If you decide to use NT based installation, there is very good tutorial:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html

DocBook is excellently explained in book DocBook The Definitive Guide.
(http://www.docbook.org/).

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz