Re: getting started info

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Elisa Ma wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Please excuse the bonehead nature of my inquiry.
>
> As a complete newbie to docbook (why didn't I know about it sooner?), I need
> to know basic requirements for beginning to work with it. I'm thinking of
> making a Linux partition on my computer, although most apps at work operate
> on NT.
>
> It appears that I could try out docbook "simple" by using java enablers,
> etc.,  that are easily downloaded and implemented on Linux...does this make
> sense to all you sophisticated docbook users out there? Is someone willing
> to assist an experienced tech writer understand the initial steps of getting
> docbook up and running? I'm used to viewing and interpreting code, so I'll
> catch on quickly.

Elisa - I'm only slightly less new than you, and used the GNOME
Documentation Project's handbook
(http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/handbook/gdp-handbook/) as a
starting point. The GDP uses DocBook on Unix machines (mostly Linux) and
most of the writers use Emacs and a suite of tools built by Mark Galassi
at Cygnus. There's a link on the "getting started" page.

Cheers,
John