Re: New languages

/ Camille Bégnis <camille@mandrakesoft.com> was heard to say:
| For Indonesian, I imagine it is no big deal, just to modify
| common/dbl10n.dsl and generate dbl1in.ent and dbl1in.dsl.
| Could someone confirm this is enough?

That should about do it.

| For Hebrew it should be more complicated. It uses iso-8859-8 and is
| written from right to left...
| Does someone has some experience with it? Is it reasonnable to think it
| may work? How?

I don't think there are any technical issues with respect to the
documents themselves. The element names will presumably be coded L2R
even if the rest of the text is R2L, but other than that, you've just got
marked up text.

The hard part, and I can, alas, offer no advice here, is going to be
finding an authoring tool that supports R2L and Hebrew characters and
a formatting system that does the right thing.

TeX can do bidi, but I don't know if JadeTeX can.

Good luck! And please let us know how you make out.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Abandoning rhyme and fixed rules
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | in favor of other intuitive rules
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | brings us back to fixed rules and