Extending using a Customization Layer

	What I am trying to do is allow the addition of a tag, SpotId, to the
DTD.  I first went to the DocBook Guide and started with the
customization layer from there.  I tried to model the new tag after what
was done in the book's examples, however, I have had no luck.  How I
expect to use this new tag is the following, and I don't want it to be
tied to any particular location, like having to be within a section tag:
		<SpotId>InstallationDescription</SpotId>

	I only intend to use this tag in the HTML style sheets.  What I want to
do with it there is to add some meta data, much like the keyword tag
does within the keywordset, but I'm trying to avoid having to do all
that tag wrapping, and I want to add some different formatting than that
for keywords to the output.

	So the customization layer that I added is currently as follows, but I
get an error saying that the "document type does not allow SpotId here"
no matter where I put it.
		<!ENTITY % local.spotid.class "SpotId">

		<!-- load DocBook -->
		<!ENTITY % DocBookDTD PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">
		%DocBookDTD;

		<!ELEMENT SpotId - - (#PCDATA)>

	I'm sure my attempt is just fundamentally flawed, but I cannot make
heads or tails of this problem.  Any suggestions and help would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Todd Babinski