Minor problems using Docbook 3.1

I am using Docbook 3.1 (as supplied with Red Hat Linux 6.2).

I have two rather minor problems:

1) In DocBook The Definitive Guide version 1.0.2, under the element
   Emphasis, it says:
"Processing expectations

Formatted inline. Emphasized text is traditionally presented in italics or boldface. A Role attribute of bold or strong is often used to generate
boldface, if italics is the default presentation."

I get italics (from both TeX and HTML output), no matter what I put
for the role attribute.

2) When running the db2dvi command, I get the following message in the
   log file, many times:

"! Text line contains an invalid character.
l.7280 {^^@
           ^^@}\def\sbNom%
A funny symbol that I can't read has just been input.
Continue, and I'll forget that it ever happened."

I don't know if this is causing me any problems, but it's worrying.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire