RE: markup suggestions for protocol descriptions?

Mark,

I've resolved similar problems by writing extensions to DocBook. Modifying
the DTD however is the easy part. Updating the stylesheets, especially if
you publish via Jade, can be a trying process, due to limitations in the
back-ends that don't always do what you expect them to...

My rule of thumb is: if there are a lot of these items you want to mark up,
go for extending the DTD. If there are only a few, use tables.

The decision also depends on how you publish your documentation. If you
publish to multiple formats, you have to modify multiple stylesheets after
you modify the DTD.

I don't fully understand what you are trying to do, but based on the
information you supplied, you could perhaps add something like the following
to a DocBook driver file (untested):

<!ELEMENT packet - - ( title, field+ ) >

<!ELEMENT field - - ( type, size, name, required, range ) >

<!ELEMENT (type | size | name | range) #PCDATA >

<!ELEMENT required - o EMPTY >
<!ATTLIST required yesno "no" >

Now authoring will be a breeze. You have to add support for these new
elements to your stylesheets.

I hope this helps

Gershon