Re: Use of “ and ” (fwd)

/ Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> was heard to say:
| > 2. Use <quote>phrase</quote> instead of &ldquo; and &rdquo;
|
| It's not a quotation. I'd like to represent the double quotes. For
| some languages the quotation marks are represented in different forms
| (<< instead of " for example).

That's one point of <quote>...</quote>, it can use
locale-specific quotation marks.

| > 3. Add <!ENTITY ldquo '"'> and <!ENTITY rdquo '"'> to your documents
| >    or a customized version of DocBook.
|
| That is, IMHO, the best approach. But, for TeX compatibility, I think
| that <!entity ldquo "``"> and <!entity rdquo "''"> are the right
| ones.

Ok.

| What about fixing it in DocBook by itself? At least for the HTML
| version of DocBook.

There's no HTML version of DocBook. Where are you suggesting
that it be fixed?

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | It would not be better if things
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | happened to men just as they
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | wished.--Heraclitus