Re: DAVENPORT: Indent equivalent for DocBook

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 09:23:34AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> <para>I'm now trying to train myself to type like this.
> </para>
>
> (The trailing space is probably never going to be a problem.)

Sometimes it is.  I've seen things like

     <programlisting>#!/usr/bin/perl

  print "hello, world\n";
  </programlisting>

be converted to

  <pre>#!/usr/bin/perl

  print "hello, world\n";
  </pre>

Netscape, at least, will interpret that last "\n</pre>" as "Include an
extra line of white space" (which, arguably, it should), which ends up
looking quite odd.  Of course, <programlisting> is somewhat different
from <para>, but I think the general principle of "Don't include content
that you wouldn't like to see in the formatted output" holds.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>