DAVENPORT: Re: New docbook2man-spec.pl patches

| > There are four pieces of information that can come into play:
| >   refentrytitle
| >   refdescriptor
| >   refname
| >   manvolnum
| > If a RefEntry has a refentrytitle, that should be used, otherwise the
| > refdescriptor should be used, if it has one, and failing both of those,
| > the first refname should be used.
| > So the xref to the refentry above should be "this page", or "this page(1)"
| > if it has a manvolnum.
|
| OK, but I have questions about manvolnum. I'm generating man page
| output from generic makefile rules. I was worried about a couple of
| things:
|
| 1) the manvolnum will determine part of the name of the output file.
| If there is a mismatch between that and the makefile rule which was
| invoked, then the file will be lost. Forcing it from the command line
| during file generation seemed to be more robust.

Uh, well, I'm not sure exactly what your processing system is doing, but
the manvolnum in the reference page ought to be definitive, IMHO.

| > However, since you've provided an endterm on xref, it must resolve to
| > simply "this page".
|
| Oh! I recall that I had to use an endterm to get good behavior for
| html and postscript, but I'll go back and try again.

I've fixed that recently.

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | It is good to have an end to
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | journey toward; but it is the
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | journey that matters, in the