Re: PNG Inline graphics

| I am a novice @ DocBook, so your question as to if I need it to
| be
| a notation takes me by surprise - I thought that the Notation
| was the
| only option for adding inlince Graphics.

No, notations are a way of declaring the content of an external
entity, but few SGML/XML processing systems really care about the
information. At best, they are a good idea that was never fully
developed.

To use an inline graphic in DocBook, use either <inlinegraphic>
or <inlinemediaobject>. Specify the name of the file that contains
the graphic with the 'fileref' attribute.

If you want to use the 'entityref' attribute, you will need to
declare the graphic as an entity, in which case a notation will
be required. You can either call it NDATA (not-sgml-data)
or you can create a PNG notation type and call it that.

| > What backend processor are you trying to use? Does it support PNG?
| >
| I am using Jade 1.2.1 to produce HTML and Postscript.  The HTML
| version
| is tries to add the graphic filename as so: filename.png.gif ...
| so I assume from what you are saying, that Jade does not support
| PNG out of the box...  any options?

Uh, that's a stylesheet bug, I guess. Are you using a customized
stylesheet or the distribution directly from nwalsh.com?

My guess is that you're using a custom stylesheet that has

(define %graphic-default-extension% "gif")

In that case, also add the declaration:

(define %graphic-extensions%
  '("gif" "jpg" "jpeg" "tif" "tiff" "eps" "epsf" "png"))

So that 'png' is a recognized graphic extension. I'll add PNG to the
graphic-extensions list in the next release.

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Every evil tyrant has a plan to
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | rule the world. The good people
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | don't seem to have the