Re: DocBook-XML and conditional sections

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org> writes:

> > | Also, our documentation leader prefers DSSSL :-)

Hey hey!  Don't put words in my mouth.  Honestly, I'd prefer any
"toolchain" that works for the backends we need -- printable output,
HTML, ASCII, and manpages.  DSSSL does ok with HTML (using Jade's
transformation system); um, almost acceptably with printable output
(via JadeTeX); with a little help from 'lynx -dump' for ASCII; and
using SGMLSasp can do manpages now.

And the toolchain has to be free in the DFSG sense, end-to-end.  Since
free Java processors aren't yet "production ready", it is a
problematic solution right now, but I can see that being solved in the
near future (we hope).

Right now, actually, most Debian Documentation is in a
Linuxdoc-derived DebianDoc SGML DTD, which uses SGMLSasp to render.
It covers all required backends but is sub-optimal in that there are
no standards behind the styling system.  Didier PH Martin, a DSSSL
advocate, has offered to help with an exploratory DSSSL stylesheet for
that.  I don't think it would be too hard to transform the tagset to
DocBook either.

> > Yeah, I'm fond of it myself. Clean, elegant, powerful. But I
> > think XSL is the future.

> I'll have to learn it. In the mean time, DSSSL "works for me".

I like XSL in principle, though I haven't worked with it much yet.