Re: Graphics image question

Le Samedi 20 Janvier 2001 16:17, Stephen Wilhelm a écrit :
> Hello everyone.  I have a DocBook document that has some images in it.  I
> use the Cygnus tools to publish the SGML sources.  Now, db2html does a
> great job, but db2ps and db2pdf gives some LaTeX errors about gif images
> not being supported.  I switched to jpeg images, but the resulting
> Postscript and PDF files look absolutely horrible (in one case, each pixel
> of the image was rendered as a 50 pixel block, which is obviously
> unacceptable).
>
> So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
> working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
> The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
> work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes.

In DocBook 4.0, <mediaobject> has been introduced to allow you have the same
picture (or anything else) in several formats at the same time.

So the kind of tricks as proposed by Peter are only necessary for DocBook up
to version 3.1 (I also proposed similar things at that time on this list).

The complete syntax for <mediaobject> is explained on
http://www.caldera.de/~eric/crash-course/HTML.