Re: Graphics image question

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Stephen Wilhelm wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I have a DocBook document that has some images in it.  I
> use the Cygnus tools to publish the SGML sources.  Now, db2html does a
> great job, but db2ps and db2pdf gives some LaTeX errors about gif images
> not being supported.  I switched to jpeg images, but the resulting
> Postscript and PDF files look absolutely horrible (in one case, each pixel
> of the image was rendered as a 50 pixel block, which is obviously
> unacceptable).
>
> So, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get gif's or jpeg's
> working?  If not, is there another image format that I should consider?
> The only thing I would require from another format would be that it must
> work with web browsers as well (so no eps files).

To my knowledge db2ps is the show-stopper - I only eats
.eps-files.

Try the following - Note line no 2. with magic

<!doctype book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
<!ENTITY % magic-entities SYSTEM "magic.sgml">
  %magic-entities;  <!-- This is where we include it -->
<!entity frihedendato SYSTEM "dato.sgml">
<!entity frihedenversion SYSTEM "version.sgml">
<!entity frihedenappendixRevHist SYSTEM "apprevhist.sgml">
]>

I include three files here....

I have a makefile, where I do
        echo '<!ENTITY magic "png">' > magic.sgml
if I output pdf or html

If I do ps-output, then I have
        echo '<!ENTITY magic "eps">' > magic.sgml

Then I use ImageMagick to convert all my png-files to
eps if ps-output

find images/*.png | sed 's/.png//' | sed 's=images/==' | \
xargs -i% /usr/X11R6/bin/convert -antialias images/%.png eps2:bogps/%.eps

Well - It is not that straight-forward, but once you
have the setup of the first makefile, then I works.
You can see a Makefile in
http://cvs.sslug.dk/linuxbog/web/Makefile

Best

--
Peter Toft, Ph.D. [pto@sslug.dk] http://www.sslug.dk/~pto

"You don't win a battle by asking, `Will we win?'
You win it by doing your best to win" - Richard M Stallman

LinuxKonference i København: http://LinuxForum.dk/