Re: .pdf generation error using the "newer" tools

Bill Brooks wrote:

> Sorry for the late follow-up. Yes, the suggested fix didn't work for me
> either.
>
> I really wonder what the developers of the Cygnus docbook tool chain are
> using...if it doesn't work on RedHat, what will it work on?
>
> I filed a bug report about this with RedHat and their support person
> mailed me back saying that the ones that ship with 6.2 work...the new
> RPM's on the old cygnus site aren't supported.

... which means they provide outdated DTDs and style sheets then, if I
understand correctly. If this is true, then it's not good. At cygnus you
can find:
- The 4.1 DTD in SGML and XML versions
- The 1.59 style sheets
- Jadetex version 2.20
Which versions does RedHat provide currently?

Basically, it's a TeX problem, not a DocBook one. If RedHat fixes it in
the DocBook package, then they are wrong, because it breaks the
principle of packages independancy that they themselves edicted. The
right thing is to fix it in TeX package. This way, it will both work for
old and new Cygnus packages.

BTW, Cygnus is owned by RedHat - I'm criticizing them here, but I must
also thank them for helping the DocBook-tools project by hosting it :-).

Having said that, I must recognize that I also have my part of
responsability. I took their old patch to texmf.cnf and found it too
violent, so I removed from it everything that I found not indispensable.
This was wrong, JadeTeX really needs *lots* of TeX ressources. But I
must also say that I never considered this patch as something official,
I was just sending it to people to help them.

Here is how we can fix it. Someone, please send me RedHat's texmf.cnf.
Then I will put the changes they did as a patch file somewhere on
Cygnus' site. And promised, I won't remove anything from it this time.
It will eat all your memory, folks, get prepared ;-).

| Éric Bischoff                              mailto:e.bischoff@noos.fr |
| (Old address, in case of problems:  mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr)  |