jade catalog problems for Cygnus DocBook 4.1 XML

Eric, thanks for that earlier acknowledgment that you have at least seen my
pdfjadetex bug report.  Since you have so much to do I will be patient, and
I will try to help out as much as possible by what I hope are clear bug
reports and examples. While we wait for you to get a chance to sort out
these problems I have found, a subset of our team can build our
documentation on Debian DocBook 4.1 XML instead.  But we are looking forward
to when this will all work properly on Cygnus/RedHat as well.

This current post is a bug report for entities that Cygnus just cannot seem
to find although they are defined within the catalog chain.  I believe these
entity problems are completely independent of the pdfjadetex problem I
reported before. I am only copying that other bug report below so you will
know all the details of my system.  Sorry that I could not actually find a
solution of these entity problems, but here are the symptoms for a simple
example with egrave.

jade -c /etc/sgml/catalog -d
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets-1.57/print/docbook.dsl -t tex
/usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl hello_world.xml
jade:hello_world.xml:6:26:E: general entity "egrave" not defined and no
default entity

The example was identical to that used before to demonstrate the pdfjadetex
problem except that I put an è reference in the title to demonstrate
the problem that results in the above jade error message.  Here are the
first few hello_world.xml lines including the è

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1//EN" [
]>
<book>
<bookinfo>
<date>1997-10-11</date>
<title>My first bookl&egrave;t</title>

On Cygnus, I get this error message and the appropriate symbol is missing
from the *.ps output once jadetex and dvips are run.  On Debian I do not get
the above error and the appropriate symbol is in the postscript output.

For egrave, I worked backward through the chain of catalog entries in the
following way:

find /usr/share/sgml -type f | xargs grep egrave
/usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/ISOlat1.ent:<!ENTITY egrave SDATA "[egrave]"--=small e, grave accent-->

find /usr/share/sgml -type f | xargs grep ISOlat1.ent
/usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog:PUBLIC "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN" ISOlat1.ent

find /etc/sgml/ -type f | xargs grep sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog
/etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.1.cat:CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog
/etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat:CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog
/etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-4.1.cat:CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog

cat /etc/sgml/catalog
CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.1.cat
CATALOG /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.cat
CATALOG /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-4.1.cat

Perhaps there is some minor typo in this chain of catalogs, but I cannot
spot it so I have no idea why egrave is undefined as far as jade is
concerned.  This is just a wild guess, but perhaps jade cannot handle a
four-level deep catalog chain as above?

To test that wild guess I tried specifying two catalog entries as a
colon-separated list, i.e.,
jade -c \
/etc/sgml/catalog:/usr/share/sgml/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/ISOlat1.ent \
[...]

but jade does not allow specifying two separate catalogs as a colon-separated
list this way so that got nowhere.

I have just given you details of the egrave example, but we find similar
undefined problems for nbsp, ndash, and mdash entities on Cygnus that do not
occur on Debian.  Probably the solution for these additional undefined
entitities will be obvious once the egrave problem is solved.

Alan

email: irwin@beluga.phys.uvic.ca
phone: 250-727-2902	FAX: 250-721-7715
snail-mail:
Dr. Alan W. Irwin
Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3055,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 3P6

Linux-powered astrophysics