Re: Where, what and how - The future of DocBook

> Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> > I've gotten around this the easy way, I don't use pdfjadetex.  Instead,
> > I use a tool called htmldoc, which convers from HTML to PS/PDF, and does
> > a VERY nice job at it.  The only thing that's missing is that it doesn't
> > convert the external (href) hyperlinks to something useful along the
> > way.  I can do this with jade, but jade is slow.
> >
> >     Greg
>
> Is htmldoc something that you created, or is it something that's
> available for download?  I can't seem to get any of the pdf/ps

I guess this is what I get for not posting a
URL.  :-)  http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/  htmldoc is GPL, so use it how
you like.

> conversions to occur properly with the DocBook tools that I have.  I'm
> using the db2pdf and db2ps scripts and all they seem to do is explode
> and spew latex errors everywhere.  I can write picture-perfect sgml and
> it makes lovely html conversions, but it doesn't do me much good if I
> can't get it printed.

We use just straight Jade, as the db2 scripts weren't very portable, and
because we NEED good PS/PDF output.  The only thing that we're still
working on is good text support.

> I've been monitoring this list and watching all of the "Future of
> DocBook" threads and I gotta say it's a great project and I'd love to be
> able to set it as a standard to create all of my documentation.
> However, I just can't seem to get a dependable set of tools and solidly
> implement them.  Suggestions?

Take a look at the LDP Authors Guide
http://www.LinuxDoc.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/
It's got a great deal of information on what the LDP is using.  I'm
actually working on a jade wrapper using make rather than the stuff that
the docbook tools project has done, as this is exactly what make is
designed for.  I hope to have something worth showing off early next
year.

    Greg