Re: ANNOUNCE Support for XML

> Le Vendredi 10 Novembre 2000 21:35, Gregory Leblanc a écrit :
> > make install prefix=$DESTDIR/usr mandir=$DESTDIR/usr/share/man/en
> > docdir=/usr/share/doc
> >
> > it should read
> >
> > make install prefix=$DESTDIR/usr mandir=$DESTDIR/usr/share/man/en
> > docdir=$DESTDIR/usr/share/doc
>
> I just checked. It is intentional that docdir is not buildrooted unlike
> mandir. It is due to the way the autoconf process works.
>
> In the Makefile, you have the following:
>       htmldir = $(docdir)/html/docbook-utils-0.6
>       install-htmlDATA: $(html_DATA)
>               $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(htmldir)
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
> so the buildrooting is done outside of the "docdir" variable by autoconf
> default behaviour.

I don't really see how this works, but I'm not an auto* expert (yet).

> I know this is not logical, but I'm not responsible for that.

Do you mean to say that I can't blame my autoconf problems on you?  :)
> I encourage you to give a try at building once agin the package to check what
> I'm saying.

I know that this can be fixed somehow, as there are countless other
packages that work.  In it's current form, I am NOT able to build an
RPM for the docbook-utils package unless I'm logged in as root.  The
RPM guru's say that the only packages that you MUST be root to build are
the kernel packages, because root access is required to create the DEV
entries.  If you want info on building RPMs as non-root, let me know as
I've got a short article on that. I'll post a message to the RPM-list
tomorrow to see if they can help out.  Thanks,    Greg