Re: .pdf generation error using the "newer" tools

Bill Brooks wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Eric Bischoff wrote:
>
> > The two -c and -d flags should not be necessary. But they ensure you use
> > "bare bones" Norman Walsh's stuff, and not our default stylesheet.
>
> Okay, I tried it again by just using the docbook2pdf helloworld.docbook
> and still ran into some problems. Here's what I get with the same
> helloworld document:
>
>   docbook2pdf helloworld.docbook
>   Using catalogs: /etc/sgml/sgml-docbook-3.0.cat
>   Using stylesheet:
>   /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.5.5/docbook-utils.dsl#print
>   Working on: /home/wbrooks/box/work/foo/helloworld.docbook
>   This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)
>   (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> So it looks like the correct version of the DTD and stylesheets are
> getting used for this document, but it can't get pdfTeX to even begin
> generating a .pdf file.

Right. It's a TeX problem, not a DocBook problem.

> > If you volunteer to update the web pages, to me you're welcome ;-).
> > Mark?
>
> Absolutely, I can either mail a patch to the existing web page or change
> something in a CVS repository somewhere.

Let's wait for Mark's answer.

> > TeX classical problem. The default configuration files do not allow
> > enough resources for docbook.
> > [...]
> >
> > I think we have a corrected version on the web site. Attached is also a
> > patch we use at KDE.
>
> My texmf.cnf file is substantially different than yours so applying the
> patch failed. Can you send the whole file? Thanks in advance.

The patch is not big and easy to read, so you can patch by hand. On the
contrary, if you get my file, it might break other things on your
machine.

--
Éric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for eBusiness