Re: new tools coming and a couple of renamings

Mark Galassi wrote:

>     Bill> Is it going to be able to compile from source on something
>     Bill> other than RedHat linux or close cousins?
>
> Indeed it will compile on all sorts of things.  Thanks to Eric's
> cleanup I feel like it's actually worth the effort.
>
> Our intention is to produce tarballs, and I got your mail as I was
> adding configure.in/Makefile.am files to the docbook-utils package (a
> process known as "autobarfing a package").

Yes, it does compile on a wide range of platforms. It even installs and
works ;-).

What *does not work* is to install the binary RPM on a non-RedHat
cousin.

But if you rebuild the source package on a given platform:

	# rpm -ba SPECS/twiddledoodle.spec

then the generated binary RPM will normally work on that platform. Don't
forget to send the source RPM to the maintainers of this distribution
and to tell them that it worked out - normally they love your doing
their work ;-).

Same for Debian systems, if you repackage the tarball, thanks to Mark's
efforts in the automake/autoconf area.

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.