RE: I'm trying to set up docbook-tools...

I have to say that I've been reading this thread with a fair bit of
interest, since there are some huge holes in documentation for actually
doing useful things with DocBook.  As for this jargon thing, I don't think
that there is ANY hope of being able to usefully write a Definitive Guide on
DocBook without a lot of fairly specific jargon.  The terminology allows
things to be described much better than simply using proper English, or even
vernacular for the author and readers.  The problem here, I think, is that
it's bloody hard to figure out which words mean what without working with it
for a good while.  I've finally figured out what DSSSL is, and where all of
the pieces fit together, but it's NOT easy to do, and I don't think I'm an
idiot (which may or may not be relevant).  DocBook: TDG is NOT a gentle
introduction to DocBook, or to writing using DocBook.  It's a reference
guide, and as such, must use terminology suitable for people using a
reference guide.  I don't recall finding a good glossary of SGML terms, or a
good flow-chart (doesn't anybody use them for anything anymore?) of how
publishing a DocBook document work anywhere that I looked.  These two things
together would probably help clarify a lot of things for people getting
started with DocBook publishing.

> | So why didn't *you* figure one out this out two years ago?
> Why does
> | it take an outsider, jumping up and down and screaming, to point out
> | the obvious?

I have to say that while it may be obvious to you, it is NOT to some other
people.  I happen to find the flow of most chemical equations totally
intuitive, whereas Norm probably finds the flow of taking a DocBook document
and turning it into HTML totally intuitive.  You happen to have a different
point of view, and are able to see things that we may miss.  Isn't that why
open sores works?  Different viewpoints helping each other out, making for a
better end product.
	Grego