Re: Packaging OpenJade 1.3 ?

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 09:18:26AM -0700, Matt Ettus wrote:
> What is OpenJade?  I thought Jade WAS "open"...

From the OpenJade Home Page <http://jade-cvs.avionitek.com/>:

	New! OpenJade 1.3.

	Jade is James Clark's implementation of DSSSL -- Document Style
	Semantics and Specification Language -- an ISO standard for formatting
	SGML (and XML) documents.

	OpenJade is a project undertaken by the DSSSL community to maintain and
	extend Jade. OpenJade is distributed under the same license as Jade.

From the distribution one can read <openjade-1.3/jadedoc/index.htm>:

	What is OpenJade?

          OpenJade is an implementation of the ISO/IEC 10179:1996 standard DSSSL
          language. It is based on the James Clark implementation of DSSSL named Jade.
          OpenJade is now developed and maintained by the OpenJade team. The current
          version is 1.3.

	  [...]

	Copyright

          OpenJade is licensed with almost no restrictions even for commercial use (see
          license terms).

          If you do use OpenJade in a commercial product, we ask you, as a courtesy, to
          acknowledge the use of OpenJade.

And yet from the distribution <openjade-1.3/jadedoc/contributors.htm>:

           Contributors

           James Clark:
             The father of Jade. James made the first
             version called Jade. He was instrumental to
             the idea of a single set of flow objects and
             multiple backend formats. James carried the
             Jade project for several years until it became
             a group project and got renamed OpenJade.
             He is no longer participating to the OpenJade
             project but his spirit still and will always
             remain with us. He created most of the
             Openjade code and the SGML/XML and the
             RTF backends. But it is shorter to tell what he
             didn't do than what he did :-)
           Matthias Clasen:
             I am an old-time LaTeX user and a scheme
             lover. My first jade hacking experience was
             trying to use dsssl to produce properly
             formatted indexes, realizing the need for
             language-dependent string sorting. That code
             is now part of OpenJade. Since I think that
             the full power of DSSSL can only be explored
             with a reasonably complete implementation, I
             am working to fill the gaps in jade's coverage
             of the standard.
           Avi Kivity:
             I stumbled on Jade after attempts to format
             SGML documents using C++ proved too
             cumbersome. I was impressed by the power
             of DSSSL and the functional programming
             style, which I hadn't used before. My main
             interest is fully-integrated backends; that is,
             formatters which do the layout themselves
             and do not depend on external layout engines
             like TeX or Word. I also maintain the CVS
             repository and perform builds and releases.
           Didier PH Martin:
             I encountered Jade simply by browsing to find
             new ways to process XML/SGML documents. I
             had to learn it without a book and with
             minimal documentation. The more I know
             about this environment the more I learn to
             appreciate it. This is why, I am a fervant
             advocate of DSSSL, OpenJade and work hard
             to provide to members of the OpenJade
             community, a rich environment, an adequate
             documentation, a future to this language.

             After more than 20 years in the computer
             business, I still enjoy creating and learning.
             As a canadian member of the ISO Document
             Description and Processing Languages
             comittee, my goal is to make a DSSSL-2
             possible reality.
           Peter Nilsson:
             The man behind braifo.
           Sebastian Ratz:
             You have a question about Tex? Sebastian is
             the right guy to answer to your question. He
             created the Tex backend processor with
             David and Kathleen.
           Kathleen Marszalek:
             She is the bee, working hard and methodical.
             She created the Tex and MIF backends with
             other members of the team.
           Paul Prescod:
             Paul has always a good comment to bring to
             the table. He created the MIF backend with
             Kathleen.
           David Megginson:
             An other fellow canadian that is bringing
             every day to the XML community ideas, new
             code, its commitment. He created the Tex
             backend with Kathleen and Sebastian.

Basicaly, James Clark does not have enough time to continue working
on Jade, so the OpenJade team was formed to continue Jade
development, but now under the name OpenJade.

Please, visit the OpenJade (and DSSSL) homepage at:

	http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/

to find more information.

As I am a novice trying to learn the basics of SGML and DocBook, I
am not experienced enough to build an RPM package the OpenJade distribution
myself.

If you think it is worth and have enough time to provide us with such a
package I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Romildo.

--