[docbook-apps] Javahelp browser shows no contents

I generated Javahelp files from my Docbook project using version 1.68.1
of the Docbook XSL stylesheets and Saxon.  I installed JavaHelp version
2.0.  The OS is Windows XP.

When I try to open the help file, I see the messages pasted below and
the JavaHelp browser shows no contents (but does display the document
title at the top of the browser window).

Am I misusing Javahelp?  Can anyone tell me what problem this message
might be pointing to?  The source Docbook files are valid and I can
generate HTML help successfully.

********
C:\>java -jar %JAVAHELP_HOME%\demos\bin\hsviewer.jar -helpset
C:\documentation\enterprise\guide\java
help\deliverable\jhelpset.hs
DocumentParser Error: Expecting a digit
Parsing failed for
file:C:/documentation/enterprise/guide/javahelp/deliverable/jhelptoc.xml
&
Exception caught while parsing
file:C:/documentation/enterprise/guide/javahelp/deliverable/jhelptoc.
xmljava.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range:
-14
Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
javax.help.MergeHelpUtilities.mergeNodeChildren(MergeHelpUtilities.java:
81)
        at
javax.help.plaf.basic.BasicTOCNavigatorUI.loadData(BasicTOCNavigatorUI.j
ava:208)
        at
javax.help.plaf.basic.BasicTOCNavigatorUI.access$000(BasicTOCNavigatorUI
.java:65)
        at
javax.help.plaf.basic.BasicTOCNavigatorUI$NavSwingWorker.construct(Basic
TOCNavigatorUI.ja
va:252)
        at
com.sun.java.help.impl.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
*******

Thanks.

Peter Desjardins