Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 21:17 -0700, Rene Hache wrote:
> PROPOSED GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR SIMPLER XHTML OUTPUT

> 2. Included in the output will be a default CSS file with a basic
> layout for screen, print and handheld devices. The CSS file should be
> fully functional in current browsers: Opera 7+, Mozilla 1.0 and IE 6.
I'd suggest target screen only?
  We have print output.
I'm unsure about handheld. I doubt a handheld can do much with tables,
but please correct me if I'm wrong.
  I thought handhelds were more suited to strict DTD or less?

> 3. Outputted XHTML code will aim to be as simple (meaning fewer tags)
> as possible to facilitate CSS layout, and be completely table-less
> expect for tabular data.

I'd suggest even removing the table models from output?
That would make it 'simple'.

> 4. XHTML outputted will have four main DIVs for layout purposes:
> header, navbar (for basic navigation on all pages as well as
> next/previous), content and footer.

Are you assuming multiple output files?
I would accept a single output file as the most 'simple' format,
hence no footers, no headers.

> 5. Unless specified via the role attribute (or some other mechanism),
> The only DIV to be generated inside the main content div will be
> admonitions, sidebars and highlights.
>
> COMMENT: It is still my personal preference to not generate extra
> divs, but the majority seems to be leaning the other way. Maybe not
> generating those extra divs might be an option in the customization
> layer?
Bob? I'd support this, just use headings and content or styling
to show this is an admonition etc?

> 6. All graphics that will be used for navigation purposes or
> admonitions will be handled by the stylesheet. This will ensure
> maximum functionality accross various mediums and facilitate meeting
> accessibility standards.
+1

I like it.
regards DaveP