Re: [docbook-apps] underline text

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tristan Fiedler" <fiedler@cshl.edu>
To: "Docbook-Apps" <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 12:11 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] underline text

> I know this is on the web somewhere, but didn't find it in TDG or Bob
> Stayton's book.
> e.g. http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomInlines.html
>
> 1.  Could someone please point me to the documentation indicating the
> following role attribute is valid (ie "underline")
>
> <emphasis role="underline">
>
> Indeed I do see it in fo/inline.xsl :
>
>    <xsl:when test="@role='underline'">
>        <fo:inline text-decoration="underline">
>          <xsl:call-template name="inline.charseq"/>
>        </fo:inline>
>      </xsl:when>

Ah, you found the documentation.  8^)

The DocBook DTD does not prescribe any particular values for the 'role'
attribute.  It is the stylesheet that establishes what attribute values are
acted upon.   I didn't know these values were in the stylesheet.

> 2.  Am I correct that this <emphasis role="underline">....</emphasis>
> will work for PDF, but for HTML output, I need to add a CSS with :
>
> span.underline {text-decoration: underline;}

Yes.  This will work when the parameter 'emphasis.propagates.style' is
turned on
(it is by default).

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises