[docbook-apps] HTML link -> OOo footnote via DocBook?

Greetings,

I have a large XHTML 1.0 strict document that I would like to convert to a PDF in which the URLs in the links are placed in footnotes, for print presentation.

I understand I can do this by converting my web page to DocBook, and there are tools available for this, and then to publish to PDF, but do you know whether it would be possible to instead to prepare OpenOffice.org documents from DocBook instead of PDF?

I want to do a bunch of fancy formatting that would be quite difficult to prepare through stylesheet customizations.

Alternatively, you can tell me that stylesheet customizations aren't that difficult anymore, so I don't need to use OOo, but the last time I tried, it was with the DSSSL stylesheets, and was quite painful. I used DSSSL and Jade because at the time the XML tools weren't as mature. Are they better now?

I also want to include some encapsulated postscript graphics, and some hi-res bitmaps.

Thanks!

Mike Crawford
crawford@goingware.com

    Read "GoingWare's Bag of Programming Tricks" at:
           http://www.goingware.com/tips/