Re: [docbook-apps] State of the art in anchors?

Le 2004-10-31 09:12 (dimanche), Norman Walsh a écrit /
On 2004-10-31 09:12 (dimanche), Norman Walsh wrote :

> Lots of templates in the XSL stylesheets attempt to generate
> <a name="xxx"> where it would be more convenient to just output
> IDs.
>
> For example:
>
> <ul>
> </ul>
>
> instead of
>
> <ul>
> </ul>
>
> Are IDs on any (X)HTML element considered widely enough supported
> now to rely on only the ID attribute markup?

I have many sites relying on this "id" markup and it works fine with
standard compliant browsers such as the Mozilla family browsers,
Konqueror, etc.

As for MSIE, I had noticed that sometimes headings like
<h1 id="news">News</h1> would have a temporary lack of display. Then the
headings would re-appear after some page scrolling or text selection.
But it was one of the famous horrible MSIE bugs:
this time the "IE6 Peekaboo Bug"
http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html
which has nothing to do with the all-good proposed "id" markup.

In conclusion, the "id" markup is far cleaner than the old
<a name="xxx"> markup. The "id" markup works fine. Using the "id" markup
for DocBook will also make it possible for us to generate XHTML 1.1
compliant HTML output [1]. For all these reasons, I hope it will be
soon fully adopted.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/

  On the a and map elements, the name attribute has been removed in
  favor of the id attribute (as defined in [XHTMLMOD]).
  cf. http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/changes.html#a_changes

--
Marc-Aurèle DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>
AFUL <http://www.aful.org/>