[docbook-apps] <programlisting> escape sequences and error: detected an error in element

Hi,

I am having problems with <programlisting> docbook tag
I think.  I want to list a shell script that makes use
of escape sequences to do fancy color stuff on the
terminal.   Yes I know that's a bad idea ... but it
ain't my script I just need to document it :)

Here's is a short example of what I am doing ....

bash-2.05b$ xsltproc -o example.html ../notes.xsl
example.xml
example.xml:18: error: detected an error in element
content
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
example.xml:18: error: Premature end of data in tag
programlisting
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
example.xml:18: error: detected an error in element
content
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
example.xml:18: error: Premature end of data in tag
para
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
example.xml:18: error: detected an error in element
content
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
example.xml:18: error: Premature end of data in tag
sect1
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
example.xml:18: error: detected an error in element
content
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
example.xml:18: error: Premature end of data in tag
article
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
example.xml:18: error: Extra content at the end of the
document
        print "Enter your encryption password\n"
        ^
unable to parse example.xml

Here's what I have in example.xml ...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML
V4.1.2//EN"
"/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.2-1.0-17/docbookx.dtd">
<article>
        <articleinfo>
                <title>Example</title>
        </articleinfo>
                        <programlisting>

WhichEncryptCipher () {
#######################
ENC_PROG_CIPHER=`cat /etc/recovery/EncryptedWith`
if [ -z "${ENC_PROG_CIPHER}" ]; then
        ENC_PROG_PASSWD=""
        ENC_PROG="cat"
else
        print "^[[1;33mEnter your encryption
password^[[36m\n"
        stty -echo &lt; `tty`
        read passwd &lt; `tty`
        stty echo &lt; `tty`
        #ENC_PROG_PASSWD="-pass pass:${passwd}"
        touch /tmp/.key
        chmod 600 /tmp/.key
        echo ${passwd} > /tmp/.key
        ENC_PROG_PASSWD="-kfile /tmp/.key"
        ENC_PROG="openssl"
fi
}
                        </programlisting>
                </para>
        </sect1>
</article>
bash-2.05b$

Also the &lt; are mine shouldn;t the programlisting
tag be able to deal with <'s ???

Thanks
Sheldon :)