Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 8:21 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] XSL trouble with generating XHTML from TOC

Hello all,

I have a file called book.xml which via XPointers includes "sect1"s into its
book element. Apart from being a book, the sect1s are used as independent
articles on a website where each chapter is a category for the
articles(sect1s).

I am having trouble generating the website navigation for these articles. I
want it to be like the "Audio & Video" category and similar, found on
www.download.com, but where the entries are aligned vertically below.

My book have 5 chapters, but when generating a table with one row(tr) and five
cells(td) each containing a table with a tr encapsulating a td for each sect1
and the chapter's title(as on download.com but vertical), it gets too wide
for 1024x768. In other words, I need to do a break where the first "line"
contains 3 categories, and the one below 2.

I have trouble getting this right with my XSL(attached) -- when the for-each
loop have iterated over 3 chapters, it needs to "pop out" and start a new
row. With an ordinary programming language that would have been easy, but I
can't get the template thinking right.

Another problem, probably caused by my incapable HTML skills, is the
categories gets formatted unevenly because they contains different amounts of
sect1. I tried to solve this by putting 'valign="top"' in the table but that
didn't help; still those containing less entries are centered and not on the
same "rows". One method is to somehow find out what the maximum number of
sect1s that exists in any chapter, and then insert(by looping?) empty cells
in each category so all categories have the same amount of cells. Or control
the formatting somehow. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Frans