However, I am hitting yet more problems which I don't seem to be able to find
solns for in the archives.  I've attached a pdf so you can see what I mean.
Starting from the front:

#1 Front cover:
  Why is the setinfo stuff jamming itself smack up against the set title

#2 page 1:
  What can I do to stop such huge spaces pre+post <programlisting>
  <para>... ... , issue the command:</para>
<programlisting>
valgrind --tool=memcheck ls -l
</programlisting>

#3 page 1 (bottom)
  How can I stop widow/orphan behaviour on section titles?

#4 page 2 (top)
  Why is the header all busted and wrapped like this?

#5 subsequent pages
  This is the worst of all.  Why, oh why are listitems printing themselves on
the next line!

I'm running Suse 9.1.
I'm using a custom catalog w/groups so all maintainers can build the docs (if
I ever get it sorted out)
html output is booful, it's the pdf that's giving me a nervous breakdown.
pdf flags : xsltproc  --nonet --xinclude --stringparam use.extensions 1
--stringparam passivetex.extensions 1

For what it's worth, I've commented everything out in my vg-fo.xsl except for
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="no"/>
<xsl:param name="header.rule" select="'0'"/>
<xsl:param name="footer.rule" select="'0'"/>
to make debugging simpler.

And all files validate beyootifully with
xmllint --noout --noblanks --postvalid --dtdvalid
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd <filename.xml

Hopefully,

Donna