Re: [docbook-apps] overbar or overline use

Actually I would like to have it for both print and online (i.e., html). I would have also liked it for plain text but I understand that having an overline in plain ascii text is just not going to happen.

Which in some ways makes me wonder and ask the question as to whether one can get away from using overbars to represent active signals in user manuals? The overbar/overline seems to have been the standard in the past, but it also limits what software one can use to write technical references that include active signals.

For a single source document (which I understand is one of the purposes of using xml and what has drawn me to using docbook), are there other ways to represent active signals/pins? Or is there another standard that I am unaware of? I have considered using an underscore n after the signal or pine (i.e., pin_n, or signal_n).

/Thane

Dave Pawson <dpawson@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
At 12:50 28/07/2004, Thane Sinclaire wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have any experience in using
>overbars/overlines in their documentation?

>Is there a way to combine the docbook dtd with a
>mathml dtd to do it?

use the phrase element, with a role,
then customise the template, say phrase role='over'
to add the markup you need for fo (I assume print?)

HTH DaveP

Do you Yahoo!?