RE: [docbook-apps] odd entities appearing in html output

 Wait I don't get it? Please help

-----Original Message-----
From: René Haché [mailto:rene-hache@shaw.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 2:42 PM
To: Paul Heinlein
Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] odd entities appearing in html output

Thanks! That's it!

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Heinlein [mailto:heinlein@madboa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 2:18 PM
To: René Haché
Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, René Haché wrote:

> When I output my DocBook XML to HTML, I have a bunch of weird
> character entities cropping up in my HTML output. The capital letter
> "A" with circumflex appears in the document after the following:
> [....]
> 	<xsl:output
> 		method="html"
> 		encoding="UTF-8"
> 		indent="yes"
> 		saxon:character-representation="native;decimal"/>

It's the encoding that's probably tripping you up. My hunch is that you're viewing the file via some framework that thinks the file is ISO-8859-X encoded.

If, for instance, you're viewing the file in a web browser, you might try forcing the character coding scheme to UTF-8 to see if that makes a difference.

If that's the case, then you'll need to figure how to tell your web server to set the correct Content-Type header, e.g.,

In Apache, you can do so with the AddDefaultCharset directive or, in many configurations, by giving your files a .utf8 suffix. I can't speak for other web servers.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein@madboa.com>