[docbook-apps] Getting an rcsdate value from outside

When generating a Website using DocBook Website 2.5.0, I'm replacing
an index.html file generated by Doxygen in a subdirectory, with an
index.html file with a navigational ToC bar on the left.

I would like to get the Doxygen generation date into the rcsdate param
of the Website page I'm using to generate this index.html page.

I tried using an external entity.  But XML disallows using external
entities inside attribute values.

Does anyone know of a workaround?

I guess I could use perl to patch the XML source?  Or perhaps patch a
copy of the XML source? (I already do this with some XIncluded text
files, that are too large for my version of xsltproc)

But I'd rather not, if there is a simpler fix.

Thanx!

- Steinar