[docbook-apps] local xref.role.attrib customization question?

Hi all,

I'd like to tack on a local customization of the role attributes for the xref element to my local copy of the docbook DTD. Where I work, we have a few other local customizations that are defined in a "main.dtd" file (which is loaded before anything else) that then references the standard DocBook DTD for everything else (so that, of course, we can update DocBook as standard without losing our local tweaks). I'm very inexperienced in these sort of things, so I thought I would solicit advice here :)

Basically what I want to do is predefine the available values for the xref's role attribute without actually mucking up dbpoolx.mod. I see from looking at that file that the xref attlist looks like:

<!ENTITY % xref.attlist "INCLUDE">
<![%xref.attlist;[
<!ATTLIST xref
		endterm		IDREF		#IMPLIED
		%linkendreq.attrib;		%common.attrib;
		%xref.role.attrib;
		%local.xref.attrib;

<!--end of xref.attlist-->]]>

... and that xref.role.attribute looks (very dull) like:

<!ENTITY % xref.role.attrib "%role.attrib;">

and that role.attrib looks (also very dull) like:

<!ENTITY % role.attrib
	"role		CDATA		#IMPLIED">

So, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether I add something to prescribe values for xref.role.attrib to my local "main.dtd" file customizations that will override the lack of prescribed values in dbpoolx.mod but that doesn't actually require modifying dbpoolx.mod itself? I've poked around with trying to define some entity that with my prescribed values for xref.role.attrib in my local "main.dtd" file, hoping they would override dbpoolx.mod, but though I don't seem to have broken anything, I also haven't achieved what I wanted ;)

I suppose I should just go ahead and modify dbpoolx.mod and make a note so that I can reproduce the changes after future updates from standard DocBook -- but that seems inelegant! Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl E. Anderson  mailto:cea@ncipher.com  http://www.ncipher.com/
nCipher Corporation Ltd.   +44 1223 723690   Fax: +44 1223 723601